Director of Production
The Director of Production brings an entrepreneurial, innovative, and contemporary approach to the work of developing and leading below the line production. The Director of Production reports to Glo’s Chief Content Officer and serves as an essential member of the senior management team. As a dynamic, creative leader, the Director of Production develops and implements innovative strategies to create compelling and impactful digital content that supports Glo’s mission: to create intelligent tools that challenge people to live a fulfilling life.
The Director of Production works closely with the Director of Content and cross-functionally across other departments to inform a strategy from pre-production through post and manifest the best work product. In order to be successful, the Director of Production must demonstrate a powerful ability to organize, gather, and interpret a broad array of data and material into compelling stories and experiences to reach a diverse and global audience. This role encompasses managing people and processes, production logistics, budgeting, and tracking and reporting results. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record running a high volume, multi-modality, content streaming studio.
What You’ll Do:
- Production Department Leadership: Lead Glo’s production team, mentoring and developing staff to continuously build the group's capabilities and readiness for the growing complexity and scale of the business; Drive continuous improvement throughout the production team, identifying and prioritizing action items, aligning senior management on changes, and measuring impact and effectiveness of departmental OKRs and KPIs; Track industry trends and weave that knowledge into evolving strategy.
- Studio Production Oversight: Ensure content is meeting Glo standards; Relay and execute production initiatives from upper management; PM multiple creative projects at once, instruct camera operators regarding camera setup, angles, movement, lighting, audio recording, and other variables; Ensure that production Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) are up to current practice and notify Quality Assurance (QA) when new procedures are implemented; Source props, equipment, and product for video shoots when needed.
- Cross-Departmental Collaboration: Collaborate with Glo’s Content team to execute on content strategy in movement, restorative, and education materials for the platform, along with marketing collateral/assets; Manage the demands and needs of an emerging department while working collaboratively across all teams (Content, Platform, Marketing, and CX).
- Workflow and Process Management: Manage company-wide photography services and post-production workflow; Manage and understand archival processes for a large volume of video content; Streamline transfer workflows for all tapes and copies; Be the point of contact with outside storage providers; Identify technologies and opportunities to improve operational efficiency and drive a culture of continuous improvement.
- Budgeting, Planning & Forecasting: Create and manage production planning and forecasting, manage and maintain multiple production budgets as well as provide short and long-term recommendations to facilitate continued growth and sustainability.
- You’re a dynamic leader, with experience building, developing and leading a passionate and effective production team by cultivating an environment that fosters trust and collaboration through success recognition, team empowerment, active coaching, staff education, and project orientation.
- You’re adaptable and innovative - able to switch gears as needed while maintaining focus on achieving the goals of a project. You are comfortable with discomfort and prepared to thrive in a startup environment and build a department with a “no job is too small” mindset.
- You’re an energetic, self-starter with a proven ability to develop compelling stories for diverse audiences. You can flex comfortably between working independently and in teams of all sizes, influencing cross-functional teams and executive stakeholders.
- You’re an innovative thinker with a track record for translating strategic thinking into concrete action plans and results. Your skills as a project manager also include being able to identify what is important vs. urgent and prioritize work while staying organized and motivated.
- You are committed to the mission of Glo, with a strong familiarity and enthusiastic interest in health and wellness issues and topics. This is evidenced by your own desire for continuous growth and learning.
- 7+ years of professional experience leading a production crew with a focus on the camera department
- 5+ years of project management experience (Jira, GitHub, Asana, Wrike)
- 3+ years of professional photography experience with an emphasis in portrait and fitness
- Good technical camera operating skills and a deep understanding of lighting, color theory, and the techniques of cinematography.
- Proven track record of experience in digital and video content.
- Fluent in video, audio and photo editing software (i.e. Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Audition, Davinci Resolve, and Capture One).
- Familiarity with digital media streaming content and content effectiveness measurements, including performance-driven metrics.
- Strong project management skills with the supervisory experience that leverages the strengths of others to accomplish a shared goal.
- Excellent research, analysis, and communication skills, including strong writing, editing, verbal, and presentation skills.
This is a full-time position, starting immediately. We offer industry competitive salary, paid holidays, vacation/sick time, 401K with match, and healthy snacks and drinks on tap. In keeping with our culture, Glo team members also enjoy an office that is open, inviting, and dog-friendly. You'll be joining a team of people who are passionate about what they do and how Glo can impact the lives of its users. Although we trust that you can do amazing work remote or from your home office, this is an in-house only position, so candidates must be located in Los Angeles and willing to work from our Santa Monica headquarters.