Senior Backend Engineer
Full Time | Los Angeles, CA
Glo is a digital platform for total well-being. We help our community feel their best in body and mind through on-demand yoga, meditation, Pilates, and fitness classes with world-class teachers. The Senior Backend Engineer plays an important role in Glo’s mission and vision to connect people through self-care so that, together, we can heal ourselves and our planet.
The Senior Backend Engineer is responsible for designing, building, and maintaining services and databases that codify Glo’s business rules and ensure the platform runs efficiently and reliably. Reporting to the Director of Engineering, you’ll work with a talented team of engineers making informed decisions in both process and code. As an expert in backend services and architecture, you’ll help to lead other members of the team with your unique ideas and meaningful contributions.
In order to be considered for this role, you must currently reside in one of the following states: CA, TX, FL, AR or MN.
What You’ll Do
- Design & Build: Write backend services and implement architecture according to business needs and priorities; Follow established processes and design patterns and actively contribute to improve them.
- Troubleshoot: Proactively work around road-blocks and communicate status and issues within the team and to relevant stakeholders; Write tests, review code, deploy projects, and help troubleshoot production issues.
- Innovate: Work alongside the services team, app engineers and product owners to deliver value and improve processes; Stay up-to-date on the latest relevant technology tools and trends..
Who You Are
- You have strong technical skills that give you the ability to teach the team about backend technologies.
- You’re not only comfortable with the unknown, but you use ambiguity as an opportunity to learn and grow.
- You’re self-directed with a bias towards action. At the same time, you're aware of your accountability to a larger team, working hard to support others and achieve collective goals.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills, helping you to speak plainly and clearly about technical engineering topics to non-technical team members.
- Your curiosity causes you to dive in and investigate the things you don’t know and pass along what you’ve learned to others of the team.
- You’re aware of external technologies, using the information you know to keep Glo on the cutting edge of the industry.
- You have an organizational mindset that helps you create and navigate workflows with ease.
- You’re receptive to change and open to feedback from others, because you know that it makes you better at your job.
- Ideally, you have experience working in a remote or hybrid work environment, and you’re able to communicate proactively to keep remote team members in the loop.
- 7+ years of experience designing, building, deploying, maintaining, and debugging complex applications in production environments
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science (or other relevant degree, or equivalent experience)
- Over 5 years of experience with a functional backend language (we use Node.js)
- Extensive proficiency with RESTful API design, testing, best practices, and monitoring tools
- Expertise in database schema design, querying, and management using PostgreSQL, Redshift, DynamoDB, Redis/Elasticache
- Proven ability to lead technical discussions and gain consensus on architecture/design decisions
- Self-starter mentality to drive projects forward.
- Comfortable using Docker and Kubernetes.
- Comfortable with the AWS SDKs and services.
- Experience with payment processor APIs (ex. Stripe, Apple In-App Payments).
- Able to clearly communicate technology and business rules to non-tech colleagues.
- Proven track record to mentoring and improving technical skills and overall performance.
- Experience with Agile development methodologies and tools such as JIRA and Confluence.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams including product managers, designers, and front-end engineers.
- Strong understanding of security best practices and experience implementing them in production environments.
- Experience with performance optimization and monitoring tools like Datadog.
This is a full-time position, starting immediately. We are open to hiring candidates in CA, TX, FL, AR and MN. We are currently a growing team of about 50 people. We offer industry-competitive salary and generous benefits including fully paid medical, dental, and life insurance; 401K with match; and paid holidays, vacation, and sick time. As part of a wellness-focused company, you will enjoy taking part in traditions that reflect our mission and values, like weekly team meditations and Self-Care Hour. You will be joining a team of talented people who care immensely—about each other, our community, and our planet. If you’re passionate about what you do and how you can help Glo impact the lives of its members, we want to hear from you.