Senior Web Engineer
Glo’s Senior Web Engineer is responsible for building and maintaining Glo’s web browser-based products, ensuring they align with project specifications and perform efficiently and reliably. They are a key contributor on the engineering team; guiding architecture, enforcing best practices and collaborating with teammates to make informed decisions in both process and code. The Senior Web Engineer works in close proximity with the API & Services Engineers, DevOps Engineers, and the Engineering Manager to complete projects.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Build and Maintain Web Applications & Sites: Building and maintaining both new and existing features on our core web application, marketing site, and other web-based projects, such as the blog; Overseeing the full development lifecycle of your code: coding, peer review, QA, deployment, documentation and test writing.
- Innovate & Develop: Helping devise strategies for how to best approach building new features with cleanliness, usability, scalability, and accessibility in mind; Research available frameworks and tooling to find a best fit for a given project; Evaluating code to ensure it meets industry standards and is compatible with our supported browsers, devices, or operating systems; Maintain an understanding of the latest web programming practices through education, study, and occasional participation in conferences and workshops.
- Team Collaboration: Confer with teams to resolve conflicts, prioritize needs, and devise solutions; Being a helpful resource to other engineers, both on the web team and otherwise.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field, or relevant experience
- 5+ years of experience designing, building and maintaining web applications
- Server-side programming experience in Node.js, Express.js
- Programming experience in at least one of the following JS frameworks: Ember, React, Vue
- Confidence to make educated decisions that influence the architecture of our applications
- Experience using an MVVM or MVC framework
- Experience with responsive, mobile-first development
- Strong understanding of Git and version control (we use semantic versioning)
- Experience setting up and maintaining local development environments
- Experience using Docker and/or container-based infrastructure
- Ability to learn quickly, operate autonomously and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Solid ability in both written and verbal communication
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Dedicated team player
- Experience with Ember.js
- Experience mentoring junior and intermediate developers
- Understanding of the JSON API specifications
- Experience with feature-flag development
- Experience with web design, or an eye for design
- Familiarity with web accessibility standards
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.