Who We Are
Glo is a digital platform for total well-being. We help our community feel their best in body and mind through on-demand and livestream yoga, meditation, Pilates, and fitness classes with world-class teachers. The Backend Engineer will play an essential role in Glo’s mission and vision to connect people through self-care so that, together, we can heal ourselves and our planet.
Glo Senior Backend Engineers are key contributors on the engineering team - guiding architecture, best practices and other teammates to make informed decisions in both process and code. They are responsible for designing, building and maintaining services and databases that codify Glo business rules and ensure the platform runs efficiently and reliably. They are excited by not only the challenge of implementing new features and creating solutions for our users, but also by tackling technical issues and empowering our peers to support critical business objectives.
What You’ll Do
- Design & Build: Write backend services and implement architecture according to business needs and priorities; Follow established processes and design patterns and actively contribute to improve them.
- Troubleshoot: Proactively work around road-blocks and communicate status and issues within the team and to relevant stakeholders; Write tests, review code, deploy projects, and help troubleshoot production issues.
- Innovate: Work alongside the services team, app engineers and product owners to deliver value and improve processes; Stay up-to-date on the latest relevant technology tools and trends.
Who You Are
- Technical Wizard: You have strong technical skills that allow you to teach the team about greenfield technology.
- Growth Mindset: You use ambiguity as an opportunity to ask questions, solve problems, test & learn, and ultimately - grow.
- Accountable: You’re a self-starter who is great at working independently, but you’re aware of your accountability to a larger team, working hard to achieve collective goals with the larger organizational context in mind.
- Communicator: You have excellent communication skills, enabling you to speak plainly and clearly about technical topics, and you over-communicate to keep remote team members in the loop.
- Curious: Your curiosity causes you to dive in and investigate the things you don’t know and share what you’ve learned with others.
- Learner: You’re aware of external technologies, using the information you know to keep Glo on the cutting edge of the industry.
- Resilient: You enjoy working in a fast-paced environment that brings new challenges.
- Critical Thinker: You’re a critical thinker who intentionally deliberates about design decisions, identifying tradeoffs in terms of memory, performance, maintenance and testability.
- Strategic: Your strategic mindset helps you understand and create system architecture with ease.
- 3+ years of experience designing, building, deploying, maintaining and debugging applications in production
- 3+ years of experience with a functional backend language (we use Node.js)
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science (or another relevant degree or equivalent experience)
- Strong proficiency with RESTful API design, testing, best practices and monitoring tools
- Strong proficiency with converting business requirements into microservices, lambda functions, and/or webhooks/standalone API endpoints
- Strong proficiency in database schema design, querying and management (PostgreSQL, Redshift, DynamoDB, Redis/Elasticache)
- Comfortable using Docker and Kubernetes
- Comfortable with the AWS, SDKs and services
- Self-starter, exceptional organizational skills, clear communicator, motivated to start healthy discussion and gain consensus on architecture/design decisions
- Must live in California or Texas and be willing to travel to Los Angeles 2-3x/year
The internal mission of Glo is to make Glo a great place to work where you can learn and maximize your potential. In order to do that we offer:
- Distributed Work Environment - We operate as a remote-first team that comes together at a few key points throughout the year in Los Angeles for strategy, planning and celebration. We provide the equipment along with a stipend when you start to help you set up your home workspace to fit your needs.
- Competitive Salary & Benefits - Although we’re still a growing team of about 50 employees, we know the basics matter. In addition to competitive salary, inline with mid-size media streaming companies, we offer 401k and we cover 100% of monthly premiums for our employees’ health, vision, and dental insurance premiums.
- Flexible PTO - Just as we trust you to get the work done in the way and place that works best for you, we encourage you to take time off when you need it.
- Learning, Development & Growth - We take your professional growth seriously - conducting bi-annual performance reviews and providing an independent Learning & Development budget that starts at $500/person right out of the gate. In addition, we will be growing significantly over the next few years. Our goal is to continuously learn and improve from our work and each other.
- Early Stage Startup Mentality - For those interested in early stage startups, Glo is a rare opportunity to join very early (~50 people) without taking on product-market fit, distribution, funding or compensation risk. While the company was founded over 10+ years ago, we are on a mission to invest in future growth.
- Company Culture - We work hard to ensure Glo is a place where you feel comfortable being yourself and you are able to do your best work, and we encourage our employees to hold us accountable for keeping it that way. We offer two robust annual surveys to check-in with the team, weekly pulse check updates, and a People Operations and management team that is ready to help address any questions or concerns.